Thursday, May 20, 2010

What is the green and orange sludge that forms during my electrolysis experiments?

I've been playing around with the creation of hydrogen through electrolysis almost immediately after applying a current to my electrodes, a green looking sludge begins spilling out from them, floating to the top. Sometimes little chunks of stuff come out too, resembling spices in a pot of boiling liquid. There is also an orange/rust colored sludge that begins to form as well. I am using stainless steel electrodes, as I have been told they are very effective and I am using a battery charger as my power source. Any ideas?

What is the green and orange sludge that forms during my electrolysis experiments?
Yeah the rust forms when the electrodes oxidize. Copper oxide is green and steel oxide would be orange since the iron in there rusts. It turns to sludge since it dissolves in the water. It must be a pretty powerful source to get sludge so fast though.


Anyway this will only interfere in the isolation of oxygen, the hydrogen will be intact.


No comments:

Post a Comment