Monday, May 11, 2009

How do I get my Orange wing amazon to be more friendly?

I have an 8 month old orange wing amazon. He has quite the personality. I play with him daily. Yet I cannot get him to step up or not squak at me the minute I get near his cage. I am firm but always loving and caring. I want him to be more receptive to my affection but still know I am the boss.

How do I get my Orange wing amazon to be more friendly?
Orange wings are one person birds (I have one too, had him for about 22 years now).


The only suggestion I can give you is to play with him daily, as you are, but do it for short periods multiple times a day. 5 minutes now, 5 minutes in a couple of hours, etc........ either it will warm up to you, or you are not it's chosen "person". Giving it treats is a good way to get it to warm up to you as well. Try pumpkin, papaya, orange veggies are really good, like yams.......... fruit is OK but only as an occasional treat. Make sure you take any fresh food out of the cage after about 3 hours so it doesn't spoil.


Is there someone else in your house that the bird has bonded to? My bird loves me but HATES my husband and anyone else who gets near him. Good luck!!
Reply:How high is his cage? Height is a very important status symbol for birds. If the cage puts him fairly high up in relation to you lowering his cage may make him more docile


No comments:

Post a Comment