Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I know if my orange neon tetras are breeding?

I have a school of 4 blue and red neon tetras and 3 orange neon tetras. I have two neon tetras that keep swimming side by side, then they'll swim a in a little circle around each other, and finally go to a T position just for a moment. This is very odd behavior for my fish I have never seen them do this before! I noticed them doing this about 30 minutes ago I'm not really sure how longs its been going on. I have never seen any of my other tetras doing this with each other and its the same two that keep doing this weird little dance. Are they getting ready to breed or is this just the fish version of the river dance put on for my entertainment? Thanks for the help!

How do I know if my orange neon tetras are breeding?
That doesn't sound like typical spawning behavior really. Normally they dart side by side through plants or just over the gravel and lay eggs, as yours are starting out doing.





It's quite possible what you are seeing is the fish spawn and then returning to eat the eggs. That is very common as the are avid egg eaters.





MM


No comments:

Post a Comment